Thursday, June 14, 2012

Make a Friend With a Boat: Part I

I am dying for a friend with a boat. All summer long in Rockaway, I watch boats float around. On the bay, on the ocean, up to the bars... And I just know it – all those people on all those boats must be having THE best time ever.

Actually owning a boat, though, seems like a lot of work. So the best answer, to me, is to make a friend with a boat. They can take care of the upkeep, figure out what to do with a boat in the winter (where do they all go anyway?), and I can provide long afternoons of charming company, delightful conversation, and maybe some pink drinks.

This past weekend I was lucky enough to be invited out to my friend Theresa’s family’s home on Glenwild Lake in New Jersey.  ‘The group started the day with a group tour of the Newark Museum, which unfortunately I missed. After hearing about the tour I know I need to get there soon. I’ve never even heard of this museum, but it’s super close to the city and actually has the biggest collection of Tibetan art in the world. Some of the art is considered to be sacred, and people actually make pilgrimages from all over the world to see the collection. And I’ve never been! 31 before 31 perhaps?

So I met up with the rest of the group at the lake house. AKA one of the most beautiful places I have ever been! The lake was so pretty and so peaceful. It was hard to believe I was only thirty minutes outside of Manhattan.

And the best part is… THEY HAVE A BOAT!

Ok, so it was a canoe, maybe not quite the party boat of my dreams. But we all agreed that I need to start somewhere.  Theresa, Beth, and I went out for a twilight cruise around the lake. Since there were only two oars and two seat, I got to sit pretty in the middle and be rowed around. My adorable new puppy friend Olly, who is terrified of the water but loves to be in the canoe, came along for the ride as well. Hopefully Olly and I were delightful enough company in return for all their hard work. (Thanks, friends!)

It was such a great day, and our canoe ride made me crave more time on the water. Step one: made a friend with a canoe. Step two: what could be next?! Help me out, universe! (And also, help me out any friend who might have a friend with a boat?)

Another goal (part of the way) accomplished. Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment